What problems should I expect with new dentures?

New dentures may cause problems for the first few months of wearing them. It takes a while for your mouth to adjust to holding dentures in place, especially if you're new to complete dentures. Because of this, your dentures may slip or move, especially while eating, talking, laughing, or coughing. You may also experience some minor gum irritation or soreness in your mouth for the first few months as your gums get used to the contact of dentures. At first, you'll likely have some difficulty speaking and eating, but these skills will improve with practice. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned about any problems that occur within the first few months of getting new dentures.

Continue Learning about Dentures

Will dentures affect my speech?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Dentures may affect your speech, but the effect may be an improvement. If existing dentures are w...
Will dentures increase my risk for oral health problems?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As long as you continue to take care of your mouth, dentures shouldn't increase your risk for oral h...
Will dentures change my appearance?
Dentures can certainly affect your appearance. If you have exisiting dentures and you wish to make c...
What daily oral care will I need if I have dentures?
Caring for your mouth is just as important when you have dentures as it is when you have all your na...