What problems should I expect with new dentures?

New dentures may cause problems for the first few months of wearing them. It takes a while for your mouth to adjust to holding dentures in place, especially if you're new to complete dentures. Because of this, your dentures may slip or move, especially while eating, talking, laughing, or coughing. You may also experience some minor gum irritation or soreness in your mouth for the first few months as your gums get used to the contact of dentures. At first, you'll likely have some difficulty speaking and eating, but these skills will improve with practice. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned about any problems that occur within the first few months of getting new dentures.

Continue Learning about Dentures

Will other people be able to tell I'm wearing dentures?
Fortunately, the technology used to make dentures has become quite advanced over the years. Because ...
When does a removable partial denture need to be fixed?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your mouth naturally changes as you age, which can affect the fit of your removable partial dent...
What daily oral care will I need if I have dentures?
Caring for your mouth is just as important when you have dentures as it is when you have all your na...
Why do dentures need to be fixed or replaced?
Over time, dentures will need to be relined, rebased, or remade due to normal wear. To reline or...