What do dentures feel like?

At first, dentures may feel strange or even uncomfortable. It will take a few weeks for you to get used to wearing dentures and doing normal tasks like chewing, swallowing, and speaking. In the first few weeks, your gums may feel sore or irritated, and your dentures may feel loose or unsecured. After a few weeks, your dentist will probably ask you to come in for a check up to make sure you're adjusting well to your dentures. At that point, the irritation and discomfort should start to go away, but tell your dentist if you're having significant pain or difficulty adjusting to your dentures.
Personally, I myself don't really know because I do not have a denture. I have treated many patients and made hundreds of removable partial and full dentures over the 18 years that I have practiced dentistry. My experience tells me that most patients do better with upper dentures than lower dentures. In some cases, it may take several weeks for a person to become used to the feeling of wearing dentures. Some people have great difficulty wearing dentures, while others become so accustomed to them that they forget they are even wearing them. Even so, you are better off trying to save your own teeth so you don't need to wear dentures.
Wearing dentures or a denture will certainly be a new experience. You may feel as if you have foreign objects in your mouth; you also may experience a gagging sensation, awkwardness in making your usual speech sounds, fullness in the lips, sore areas and challenges in eating and chewing. You must expect a period of time to learn to eat, speak and function with dentures. Also you may need some adhesive to achieve a desired feeling of security. Remember you were not "made" to wear dentures.

On the positive side you may feel improved satisfaction with your smile and appearance, eventual improved ability to eat and speak, TMJ comfort and general increase in feeling of well-being.

The denture fabrication process not only involves impressions, but also measurements to allow for proper lip support, speech sounds, occlusion (bite), tooth position and denture border extension. These considerations, along with careful adjustments at denture delivery and post-delivery care, go a very long way to minimize the challenges noted above.

Continue Learning about Dentures

What problems should I expect with new dentures?
New dentures may cause problems for the first few months of wearing them. It takes a while for your ...
What should I know about getting dentures for tooth loss (edentulism)?
If you have lost your teeth, whether because of injury or disease, dentures can help. If your de...
Why do dentures need to be fixed or replaced?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Over time, dentures will need to be relined, rebased, or remade due to normal wear. To reline or...
Are there alternatives to dentures?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
Dental implants are often called man's way of giving you a third set of teeth. Depending on the qual...