What are partial dentures?

A partial denture usually refers to a removable replacement for some missing teeth in an arch, upper or lower jaw.
The "partial" can be made of all acrylic, acrylic with stainless steel clasps, acrylic with strengthening chrome-cobalt framework embedded it and acrylic bases for the teeth areas with supporting chrome-cobalt framework and retention clasps. Flexible partial dentures are also available that are made with a special light strong and flexible acrylic. These, although light and often esthetic, are difficult to repair, and may not be the best choice for a variety of reasons.

The teeth that are used on a partial denture are usually plastic and come in a variety of shapes, colors and quality.
It is best to discuss the options for treatment with your dentist.

Partial dentures are a prosthetic replacement for missing teeth. Generally they have a metal framework that attaches around other teeth to hold the appliance in place. Pink plastic is used to simulate the gums, and a plastic or porcelain tooth is used to replace any missing teeth. Partial dentures are made to be removed from the mouth. It is best to remove them at night so that your mouth can rest. Your dentist will work with a dental laboratory to make this appliance.

A denture is an artificial replacement for missing natural teeth (a prosthesis). If all the natural teeth are being replaced the proper term is complete dentures. If only some of the teeth are being replaced then the proper term is a partial denture. Partial dentures rely on the remaining natural teeth in part for stability and if maintained properly, partial dentures can be a lifetime restoration. 
Partial dentures are a type of false teeth that are used by people who have lost one or a few of their natural teeth. Partial dentures don't cover the entire jaw; instead, they fill in small gaps of space where only a few teeth are missing. The replacement teeth are attached to a metal framework covered by a plastic base that's often colored to look like gums. Partial dentures usually attach to existing natural teeth with metal or plastic clasps.

Continue Learning about Dentures

Will other people be able to tell I'm wearing dentures?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Often others will not be able to tell if you are wearing dentures, especially if care has been taken...
Will I need a root canal if I'm going to get complete dentures?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
If you don't plan on keeping the tooth then a root canal isn't something you will need. (By way of e...
Should I wear my dentures 24 hours a day?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Generally, it is not desirable to wear dentures continuously. This allows gum tissues to rest and pr...
What daily oral care will I need if I have dentures?
Caring for your mouth is just as important when you have dentures as it is when you have all your na...