Why is the pH in my mouth important?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
You might remember from high school chemistry that pH is a measure of acidity or alkalinity, ranging from one (acidic) to 14 (alkaline, or basic). The pH of water, which is neutral, is seven. The pH of the mouth is important because a low or acid pH demineralizes teeth and creates an environment for the bad bacteria that cause gum inflammation to thrive. Pregnant women and people on prescription medications both have changes in mouth pH and need to be even more proactive about their oral health to prevent cavities and periodontal disease.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

3 Steps to Healthier Teeth and Gums
3 Steps to Healthier Teeth and Gums
Your mouth is full of germs. Many belong there, but some, like plaque, can be harmful. This sticky bacteria forms on your teeth shortly after you eat,...
How do I find free dental clinics?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
The best way is to contact your local, state dental organizations. They often have lists of free cli...
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
Find out the worst foods for tooth enamel loss and acid erosion in teeth.
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?