Why is oral health in older adults important?

Oral health is important at any age; however older adults sometimes need to pay extra attention to their oral hygiene, particularly if they suffer from periodontal disease or have lost teeth or have dentures.

The bottom line is that the healthier your mouth and gums are, the more likely you are to be healthy overall. Your mouth can sometimes show the first signs of nutritional deficiencies or general infection. Systemic diseases, those that affect the entire body, may first become apparent because of mouth lesions or other oral problems although there is no conclusive research showing that severe gum disease raises a risk of heart disease.

Preventive measures are the best defense. Always remember to brush your teeth twice a day with an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste, clean between your teeth once a day with floss and eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks. Don't forget to schedule regular dental check-ups to keep your smile, and yourself, healthy.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Don't Let Tea Stains on Teeth Spoil Your Smile
Q: I started drinking black tea, as you've recommended, but it stained my teeth! I was able to remove the stains with whitening strips. How can I keep...
How does a chewing gum get the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A company earns the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal for its product by showing with scientifi...
Is it normal to lose most of your gums in your 60's?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
People who have worn dentures for many years can lose most of the bone in their jaw (the ridge that ...
Why would the inside of my mouth have areas of grey and black?
Grey or black areas in your mouth could be caused by many things, such as precancerous or benign...