What is the role of saliva in the mouth?

Saliva coats and lubricates tissues in the mouth helping to keep them healthy. Saliva weakens acids released by bacteria in the mouth that can cause tooth decay. It helps cleanse the mouth and begins the digestive process when you eat. Speaking, chewing and swallowing all are made easier when the mouth is moist.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Snapping and popping gum remain image busters -- just ask Britney Spears watchers. But here's a good excuse for discreet chewing: less blood at the de...
As a woman, should I worry about my oral health?
Peggy RosenPeggy Rosen
As a woman, you shouldn't worry about your dental health but you should take good care of your denta...
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
Get a gorgeous grin with these simple tips from leading dentists.
Floss Your Teeth to Prevent Heart Disease