What is an underbite?

An underbite is also called a Class III malocclusion. This means that the lower jaw juts out, causing the lower teeth to overlap (and close in front of) the upper teeth. This is caused by a problem with how the jaw bones are aligned. Alignment problems are often due to a problem with the size of the upper or lower jaw bone, which can be passed down in families. An underbite can make activities, such as eating, speech and closed-mouth breathing, difficult. It can also lead to stress on the jaw bones and muscles. If treatment is needed, it may include braces, other dental work or orthodontics, or surgery.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

How the Economy Hurts Your Teeth
How the Economy Hurts Your Teeth
When you were a kid, you probably dreaded a dental visit. But then a change occurred. And a few short years ago, you couldn't stop dreaming about what...
What is a dentist?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
A dentist is a doctor who diagnoses and treats diseases of the teeth and oral cavity. A dentist rece...
7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth
7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth
Your taste buds may enjoy red wine, but your teeth tell another story.
How Can I Help Someone Get Over a Fear of Going to the Dentist?