What if I am afraid of dental treatment?

Don’t let anxiety keep you from achieving a healthy smile. With dentistry's many advances, diagnosis and treatment is more sophisticated and comfortable than ever. Sharing your anxiety may make it better. If you're tense or anxious, tell your dentist and the dental staff. Getting your concerns out in the open will let your dentist adapt the treatment to your needs.

Try to choose a time for your dental visit when you're less likely to be rushed or under pressure. For some people, that means a Saturday or an early-morning appointment. If the sound of the drill bothers you, bring a portable audio player and headset so you can listen to your favorite music. During the dental visit you might try visualizing yourself relaxing on a warm beach. These positive techniques work wonders for many. Try them on your next dental visit. 

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Read Before You Brush—These Dental Products May Pose a Poisoning Risk
They keep your teeth clean, your breath fresh and your mouth healthy, but some everyday oral hygiene products can be harmful when misused. While their...
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
Find out the worst foods for tooth enamel loss and acid erosion in teeth. Guess what? Sugar isn't the biggest culprit when it comes to a fizzy drink's...
5 Ways to Improve Your Health in 60 Seconds or Less
How Can I Help Someone Get Over a Fear of Going to the Dentist?