What is a healthy pH for saliva?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Acids and carbohydrates in the food you eat can directly and indirectly lead to breakdown of the minerals in your teeth. Your body needs to constantly rebuild your teeth to keep them strong and healthy. The natural pH of saliva hovers around neutral in the range of 6.75 to 7.25, which is the perfect range for this process of remineralization. If the pH drops below 5.5, cavity-causing bacteria flourish and demineralization of the teeth accelerates. The body is no longer able to effectively repair the damage, opening up your teeth to occupation by bacteria that cause dental disease.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Eat Your Way to Pearly Whites
Eat Your Way to Pearly Whites
Can you trade in your teeth-whitening products for something green instead? Maybe. Getting more greens in your diet -- along with other veggies and f...
When should I call the doctor for oral health problems?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have mouth and tooth problems, call or go to the doctor or clinic for: Mouth sores that beg...
7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
From sipping sugary sodas to chewing on pen caps, some common habits are terrible for your teeth.
How Can I Help Someone Get Over a Fear of Going to the Dentist?