What does aging mean for my oral health?

As we age, our teeth get more wear and tear.  As a result, you may notice more erosion or abrasion or chipping in your teeth.  In addition, you may notice more gum recession so that you get more food caught in between the teeth because you've lost the papillae, the tissue in between the individual teeth.  As the integrity of the teeth and gums become compromised, the teeth are more susceptible to sensitivity and decay. 

Another factor to consider is that as we get older our salivary flow can decrease oftentimes due to illness or taking medications.  Saliva is the body's natural way of cleansing the mouth.  In order to minimize these negative consequences of aging, toothbrushing twice a day and flossing are imperative, as is a professional dental cleaning every 6 months minimally.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
Different people will have different oral health needs as they age. The good news is that most people can and will retain their teeth for their lifetime. Regular dental care along good home care is the key. 

Arthritis is one of the most common chronic ailments of aging and the hands are most often affected. This might make it hard for you to use dental floss. Instead you might want to try a floss holder, interdental pick or Water Flosser. All will help you effectively clean between your teeth reducing your risk of periodontal problems.

Your oral health needs change as your age. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains what happens to your teeth as you age and why regular dental checkups are important.

[media id=" PRD__50dde6dd9adb02_35733524" title="What does aging mean for my oral health?"]

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Adult Orthodontics for Straighter, Healthier Teeth
Braces aren't just for kids anymore. Nearly 1.25 million adults had their teeth straightened in 2012, up almost 15% from two years ago. Adults might s...
What if I am afraid of dental treatment?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
This is an excellent question. Possibly among the most important questions that one must deal with i...
Best and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Best and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Eat your way to a healthy smile with these smart diet tips.
With Diabetes, Good Oral Health Protects Your Smile