What causes yellow tongue?

Yellow tongue usually occurs when the papillae (tiny projections) on the surface of your tongue become enlarged and yellow-colored from bacteria growing in your mouth.

Most often, yellow tongue is an early sign of a harmless condition called black, hairy tongue, which is usually brought on by:
  • poor oral hygiene
  • heavy tobacco use
  • changes in the normal bacteria or yeast content of the mouth following antibiotic use
  • breathing through your mouth
  • medications containing bismuth, such as Pepto-Bismol
  • regular use of mouthwashes containing oxidizing agents, such as peroxide, or astringent agents, such as witch hazel or menthol
Rarely, yellow tongue may be a sign of jaundice, a yellowing of your eyes and skin that might indicate liver or gallbladder problems.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Americans Need to Brush Up on Dental Knowledge
As a dentist, part of my role is to help people take good care of their dental health. As it turns out, I have my work cut out for me. The American De...
A Health Drink for Your Teeth
A Health Drink for Your Teeth
Which is better for your teeth—orange juice or tea? Turns out that OJ ranks right up there with soda in terms of its enamel-damaging potential. But t...
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
Get a gorgeous grin with these simple tips from leading dentists. Flashing a big, beautiful smile can work wonders. For one thing, it's contagious. St...
8 Reasons You Shouldn’t Avoid the Dentist
8 Reasons You Shouldn’t Avoid the Dentist8 Reasons You Shouldn’t Avoid the Dentist8 Reasons You Shouldn’t Avoid the Dentist8 Reasons You Shouldn’t Avoid the Dentist
Modern dental care is all about prevention and comfort. We all know somebody who looks forward to going to the dentist. You know, the kind of person w...