What causes malocclusion?

Malocclusion, or "bad bite," involves teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases, the upper and lower jaws may not meet properly and although the teeth may appear straight, the individual may have an uneven bite. Protruding, crowded or irregularly spaced teeth and jaw problems may be inherited. Thumb-sucking, losing teeth prematurely and accidents also can lead to these conditions.

Correcting the problem can create a nice-looking smile, but more important, orthodontic treatment results in a healthier mouth.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Snapping and popping gum remain image busters -- just ask Britney Spears watchers. But here's a good excuse for discreet chewing: less blood at the de...
Overcoming Fear of the Dentist
Overcoming Fear of the Dentist
In the 1996 horror film, The Dentist, Corbin Bernsen played a horrifying (of course!) oral surgeon, Dr. Alan Firestone. That role did more to fuel den...
What does a dental assistant do?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
The dental assistant is a helpful person in the dentist office. He is the main source for helping pa...
How Can I Help Someone Get Over a Fear of Going to the Dentist?