What can cause a white coat on my tongue?

A thin white coating on your tongue is usually caused by a buildup of food particles, bacteria, and dead cells. Brushing both your teeth and your tongue regularly usually removes the buildup and restores your tongue's natural pink color.

A creamy white coating on both your tongue and inside your cheeks is usually a sign of oral thrush, also known as Candida. Oral thrush usually happens when your immune system is weakened by an infection or if you have been taking antibiotics or steroid drugs. People with diabetes, HIV/AIDS, and those having cancer treatment are more likely to get thrush. It usually goes away by itself, but sometimes an antifungal drug is needed.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Get Healthier Lungs with This 2-Minute Habit
Two minutes in the morning and two minutes in the evening and your lungs may be breathing fine for a very long time. We're talking about brushing your...
What is HbA1c, and is it important for oral health?
HbA1c, or A1c, tests whether or not you have hyperglycemia, which could harm your oral health. An A1...
Best and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Best and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Eat your way to a healthy smile with these smart diet tips.
What Does Aging Mean for My Oral Health?