Should I get dental work done in another country?

Abraham Speiser
Dentist

I have had to make major changes in crowns (bridgework) on 2 of my patients who had dental treatment in 2 different foreign countries. In both cases, the normal gum tissues of the mouth were inflamed and were subject to bleeding when food brushed by the gums the wrong way. I currently have a new patient who is from a third foreign country who has excellent restorative treatment. There are no rules. But inability to follow up with the treating dentist is a major drawback.

The United States holds high accreditation standards for dentists. Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why getting dental treatment in another country may cost more down the road.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

4 Ways to Cope With Dental Fears
4 Ways to Cope With Dental Fears
If you dread going to the dentist, you’re not alone. More than half of all people in the United States don’t see a dentist for regular dental care, an...
What can I do if I'm nervous about going to the dentist?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
If you have a fear of the dentist, it's important to talk to your dentist to figure out what's trigg...
8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health
8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health
Stop throwing mints at the problem—find out what's causing your bad breath. 
Omega-3 Fats Are Good for Your Smile As Well As Your Heart