What will my dentist tell me about oral health care during my pregnancy?

You dentist will tell you that with all the changing hormone levels that occur with pregnancy, this can actually make some dental problems worse.

It’s important to continue to see your dentist during pregnancy for oral examinations and professional teeth cleanings. Make sure to tell your dentist that you are pregnant and about any changes you have noticed in your oral health. Good daily care is vital.

In some women, overgrowths of tissue called “pregnancy tumors” appear on the gums, most often during the second trimester. These non-cancerous growths or swellings are usually found between the teeth and are believed to be related to excess plaque. They bleed easily and have a red, raw-looking raspberry-like appearance. They usually disappear after your baby is born, but if you are concerned, talk to your dentist about removing them. If you notice pregnancy tumors or any other changes in your mouth during pregnancy, see your dentist.

Your dentist should describe how important oral health care is during this exciting time of your life. They should warn you that gum disease might lead to preterm delivery or low birth weight in your newborn. They will educate you about proper brushing with a fluoride toothpaste, flossing daily, using a fluoride mouthwash, and making sure you visit routinely. This  minimizes your risk for these complications. Dental professionals may also remind you to take your prenatal vitamins and eat foods that contain enough calcium and magnesium.

Continue Learning about Oral Health