How can I tell if I'm not producing enough saliva?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Our bodies produce around two to four pints of saliva every day, the least of which is produced at night (hello, morning breath!). When our mouths are dry, the soft tissues like gums, cheeks and tongue become swollen and uncomfortable. In addition, germs aren’t regularly washed out of our mouths with saliva, so a dry mouth becomes a breeding ground, turning your breath less than fresh.

If you’re having any issues with saliva production, feel like you always have terrible breath or feel like your mouth is constantly dry, it’s a great idea to talk to your dentist and doctor to find the culprit and determine a solution together.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

How Flossing Is Linked to Overall Health
Julia Roberts’s radiant smile melts hearts (Richard Gere’s in Pretty Woman); a deep space Ferengi's snaggle-toothed grin breaks hearts (the Grand Nagu...
How can I relieve my facial pain?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
The cause of facial pain needs to be determined before relief can be found. Facial pain can be cause...
Best and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Best and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Eat your way to a healthy smile with these smart diet tips.
Floss Your Teeth to Prevent Heart Disease