How does my lifestyle affect my oral health?

Lifestyle can affect oral health in many ways. If you tend to eat foods high in sugar, you may be at increased risk for cavities. That's because bacteria feed on sugar, which will increase the amount of acid in your mouth. Foods high in sugar can include breads, rice and potatoes as well as sweets. Also, acidic foods break down your teeth's enamel, putting you at higher risk of cavities. In addition, using tobacco products puts you at higher risk of oral cancers. It is important to develop habits of brushing your teeth regularly with toothpaste with fluoride and flossing regularly to prevent cavities.

Smoking and diet have been linked to chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains what smoking and diet can mean for your oral health.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Snapping and popping gum remain image busters -- just ask Britney Spears watchers. But here's a good excuse for discreet chewing: less blood at the de...
Can I have gum disease and not know it?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You can have gum disease without any clear symptoms. That's why regular dental checkups and periodon...
7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
From sipping sugary sodas to chewing on pen caps, some common habits are terrible for your teeth.
Gobble Yogurt for Healthy Gums
Gobble Yogurt for Healthy Gums