How does my lifestyle affect my oral health?

Lifestyle can affect oral health in many ways. If you tend to eat foods high in sugar, you may be at increased risk for cavities. That's because bacteria feed on sugar, which will increase the amount of acid in your mouth. Foods high in sugar can include breads, rice and potatoes as well as sweets. Also, acidic foods break down your teeth's enamel, putting you at higher risk of cavities. In addition, using tobacco products puts you at higher risk of oral cancers. It is important to develop habits of brushing your teeth regularly with toothpaste with fluoride and flossing regularly to prevent cavities.

Smoking and diet have been linked to chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains what smoking and diet can mean for your oral health.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Three Herbs That Sweeten Your Breath
Three Herbs That Sweeten Your Breath
Can't stand the sting of mouthwash, but want sweeter breath? Set down the Scope, and pick up a pinch of one of these herbs instead: parsley, basil, or...
How does a chewing gum get the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A company earns the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal for its product by showing with scientifi...
8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health
8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health
Stop throwing mints at the problem—find out what's causing your bad breath. 
What Does Aging Mean for My Oral Health?