How can intense exercise damage my teeth?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
During an intense workout, saliva production decreases. This is significant because saliva production is our bodies’ protective mechanism, bathing the teeth with antibodies and keeping our pH levels neutral. Remember, low pH is acid and this demineralizes teeth and creates an environment for the bad bacteria that cause gum inflammation to thrive.

When you exercise, your mouth dries out and saliva can’t prevent the pH from dropping. The damaging consumption of sugary, acidic sports drinks during your workout pushes your pH way down into the acidic level. To make matters worse, athletes tend to clench their teeth when exercising, further damaging the surface of their teeth and creating a recipe for disaster.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Yogurt for a Beautiful Smile
Yogurt for a Beautiful Smile
You brush, you floss, you rinse, you spit -- all for the sake of your pearly whites. But do you eat yogurt? Might want to consider it. Research shows...
Can arnica montana help with oral health?
Some studies suggest that arnica montana has some antibacterial action on periodontal bacteria but d...
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
Get a gorgeous grin with these simple tips from leading dentists.
How Can I Help Someone Get Over a Fear of Going to the Dentist?