How do dentures help edentulism?

Edentulism, or lack of teeth, is corrected with replacement of teeth. One way to accomplish this is with full or partial dentures, depending if all of the teeth are missing, or if some teeth remain to support and retain replacement teeth.

Obviously, it is best to avoid being edentulous if possible; however, if this is not possible or already exists, it is important to replace teeth for a number of reasons including appearance, speech, chewing and overall function.
Edentulism is the loss of teeth. Complete edentulism is the loss of all of the teeth. Dentures are a dental prosthesis that replace missing teeth. If you are edentulous, dentures can help restore your original smile. They will also help with eating and speaking.  
Dentures are removable teeth that are usually left in during the day and taken out at night. While dentures cannot reverse the effects of edentulism, they can help you to chew foods that you would have avoided otherwise. They also give some people more confidence about their smile and appearance.

However, even dentures have their side effects and you should still see a dentist if you have dentures. Poor dental care of dentures leads to symptoms like pain, ulcers, gingivitis, yeast infection, and irritation.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Don't Let Tea Stains on Teeth Spoil Your Smile
Q: I started drinking black tea, as you've recommended, but it stained my teeth! I was able to remove the stains with whitening strips. How can I keep...
What is oral and maxillofacial surgery?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a type of surgery used to treat many diseases, injuries and defect...
Best and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Best and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Eat your way to a healthy smile with these smart diet tips.
With Diabetes, Good Oral Health Protects Your Smile