How can I stop chewing on the side of my mouth?

Chewing the inside of your mouth/cheek is a bad habit. Is the chewing something your consciously aware of? If so, you may want to try a healthier alternative such as chewing sugarless gum or even chewing on a straw to wean you off. If the chewing is severe, it can lead to mouth ulcers or even interfere with your bite. This is why it's important that you discuss your condition with your physician or dentist.

If you are in the habit of chewing on the inside of your mouth, try switching to sugarless gum. Chewing on the inside of your mouth can cause painful, oral ulcers that can lead to infection. The habit can also lead to a more serious condition called leukoplakia, which can eventually become cancerous. If you are unable to stop chewing on the inside of your mouth, be sure to discuss the problem with your dentist.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Healthy Smile, Less Cancer?
Healthy Smile, Less Cancer?
You know flossing is a great way to fend off gum disease. But cancer? Turns out that there might be a connection. A study of lifestyle habits showed ...
Are my parent's dental needs met in a nursing home?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Every nursing home is different when it comes to oral care. That's why it's important for you to do ...
Best and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Best and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your TeethBest and Worst Foods for Your Teeth
Eat your way to a healthy smile with these smart diet tips.
Floss Your Teeth to Prevent Heart Disease