Will dental insurance cover implants?

Jonathan H. Ross, DDS
Periodontics
Dental insurance is a benefit negotiated by the insurance company and usually one's employer. In that negotiation, reimbursement for dental implant surgery, implant abutment, and implant crown may or may not have been included in the plan. You would be best to ask your HR department or to call your insurance company to find out what your coverage is and at what reimbursement level. Many dental policies only cover $1000 per year, so even if you stretch the treatment over two policy years you will have to pay much out of pocket. And always remember that insurance companies make money by NOT paying out on claims, so expect them to drag their feet. Dentists who enter the claims electronically can often get estimate of benefits quicker, so you can have an idea of what you will have to pay out of pocket within a couple of days, more or less.
Only your insurance company knows the answer to this question and sometimes they won’t tell. That’s because it depends on what type of dental insurance you have, and maybe if you don’t know, you won’t submit the bill and they won’t have to pay. So before booking an implant appointment call your dental benefits provider; there should be a number on the back of your membership card. Can’t find that card? Call your employer’s benefits office; if they can’t answer your questions, they should at least be able to give you the right number to call. Also, make sure you know what “covered” means to your insurance company. Sometimes, it means that the entire cost of the procedures and implants will be paid for or reimbursed to you (after what seems like a year of you being out of pocket), but sometimes it means that you will still pay for some (often 50%) of it.

Continue Learning about Dental Insurance Plans

What is not covered by a dental plan?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some dental plans do not cover pre-existing conditions, such as missing teeth. Others may not co...
Does my dental insurance cover me if I get treatment outside the country?
Some dental insurance plans may not cover you if you are treated in a foreign country. Watch Dr....
What should I look for in a dental insurance plan?
David A. Schwartz, DDSDavid A. Schwartz, DDS
If your dental needs have been small over the years, you may not want to spend any money on dental i...
Why should insurance plans have dental coverage?
Dental health is a key factor to preserving one's general health. Employers and other plan spons...