What are the different types of dental plans?

There are numerous models of dental plans. In general, they can be divided into two categories: managed care and fee-for-service. Managed Care dental plans are cost containment systems that direct the utilization of health care by a) restricting the type, level and frequency of treatment; b) limiting the access to care; and c) controlling the level of reimbursement for services. Fee-for-Service dental plans are typically freedom-of-choice arrangements under which a dentist is paid for each service rendered according to the fees established by the dentist.

Continue Learning about Dental Insurance Plans

Does my dental insurance cover me if I get treatment outside the country?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some dental insurance plans may not cover you if you are treated in a foreign country. Watch Dr....
What should I consider when choosing a dental plan?
Ask yourself the following questions before selecting a new dental plan:Will employees retain the fr...
How are Fee-for-Service dental plans different from DHMOs?
Like many other things in life, it comes down to freedom of choice. Fee for service dental plans all...
What is important when changing dental insurance policies?
Before you change, it’s important to read your current plan and the potential new plans very careful...