What should I look for in a dental insurance plan?

If your dental needs have been small over the years, you may not want to spend any money on dental insurance. Put the premium dollars in a "dental saving account". If by chance you have an unexpected need, you have the money.

If your dental needs are great, you will find that unlike medical insurance, dental insurance will not cover what it takes to get your mouth back even to minimal health. Most plans still have a $1000 maximum yearly allowance, the same as it has been for near 30 years. It is rare that one gets more out than what they pay in. Think of dental insurance as a coupon to be used towards your dental needs so you will not be disappointed.

If your needs have been are variable over the years, then a dental insurance plan can help even out the ups and downs. As mentioned above, think of dental insurance as a coupon if believe it is right for you.

Continue Learning about Dental Insurance Plans

Can I pick my own dentist with dental insurance?
Sometimes. It depends on what type of dental insurance you have. Fee for service dental insurance pl...
Can dental insurance help manage chronic medical conditions?
In a sense, yes.  Several chronic medical conditions (including diabetes) can be partially treated a...
Does my dental insurance cover me if I get treatment outside the country?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some dental insurance plans may not cover you if you are treated in a foreign country. Watch Dr....
Will dental insurance cover implants?
Jonathan H. Ross, DDSJonathan H. Ross, DDS
Dental insurance is a benefit negotiated by the insurance company and usually one's employer. In tha...