How should I choose a PPO dental plan?

Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) programs are dental plans under which patients select a dentist from a network or list of providers who have agreed, by contract, to discount their fees. When reviewing a PPO dental plan, the plan purchaser should consider the following:
  • What percentage of the premium is used for administration?
  • Will the amount of the discount influence patients to change their dentist? Will the amount of the discount the dentist is required to offer affect the number of treatment options for the plan's covered individuals?
  • What is the liability for the employer if the plan influences provider selection or treatment?
  • What are the criteria for selection of providers for the plan? Does it have enough dentists under contract to adequately serve the group? What is the geographic distribution of patients to dentists? Does it provide for specialist referrals? Are dentists limited to referring patients to contracted specialists?
  • How does the program provide for emergency treatment? What provisions are in the program for emergency care away from home?

Continue Learning about Dental Insurance Plans

What if I can't afford dental insurance?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Dental insurance actually often may provide only limited amounts of benefits per year due to the ann...
Does dental insurance cover cosmetic dental work?
Dental insurance does not usually provide benefits for cosmetic treatment.That being said, there can...
What should I consider when choosing a dental plan?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Ask yourself the following questions before selecting a new dental plan:Will employees retain the fr...
Does dental insurance cover gum disease (periodontal disease)?
Periodontal (gum) disease is a bacterial infection of the gums, and treatment for this (potentially)...