Can I question my dental health coverage?

Absolutely, coverage and benefits can be questioned. You can ask your carrier or the insurance coordinator of the dental office. Any insurance can be confusing, and dental insurance is no exception. Often, you may even discover that your coverage and benefits are not as extensive as you may have been led to believe by your employer, human resources or endorsing organization.

The time to question your coverage is really before you get it. If you have a choice, are you selecting the best plan for you and your family? Will you have to change dentists; do you have copays and deductibles that you can afford; does your plan cover orthodontics, crowns and dentures? Will you be happy with a different dentist in a new location?

Most definitely! You would be amazed at how more effective it can be to get more procedures covered if the premium payer would demand more answers from their insurance carrier. Insurance plans can be so complicated that dental offices will often have 1 or 2 people working just on submitting claims. The more informed you are the better will be your understanding of just what you are paying your insurance for. Your dentist office can answer many questions, but it certainly won't hurt to contact your insurance company's customer service department through your employer's human resources department.    

Absolutely.  Asking questions about your dental health coverage is incredibly important and a very smart thing to do. You want to make sure you have a very clear understanding of what is covered, what percent of likely charges are paid for, what percent are your responsibility, who you can see, and how often.  Also, don’t feel like you have to ask all your questions at once; feel free to call back as many times as you need to as questions arise.

Continue Learning about Dental Insurance Plans

How should I choose a PPO dental plan?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) programs are dental plans under which patients select a de...
Why should insurance plans have dental coverage?
Dental health is a key factor to preserving one's general health. Employers and other plan spons...
What are the different types of dental plans?
There are numerous models of dental plans. In general, they can be divided into two categories: ...
What should I look for in a dental insurance plan?
David A. Schwartz, DDSDavid A. Schwartz, DDS
If your dental needs have been small over the years, you may not want to spend any money on dental i...