What is a dental implant sinus bone graft?

Dr. Anthony Sclar
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Bone grafting can repair dental implant sites that have inadequate bone structure due to previous extractions, gum disease or injuries. Because the sinus cavity can be involved at the site of a dental implant in the posterior upper jaw, a special bone grafting procedure called a “sinus lift” is sometimes performed. This procedure consists of the dental implant surgeon entering the sinus and carefully lifting the sinus lining to create a space to accommodate the appropriate sized implant. A bone graft is inserted between the elevated sinus membrane and the floor of the sinus. Keep in mind that the floor of the sinus is the roof of the upper jaw. If enough bone between the upper jaw ridge and the bottom of the sinus is available to stabilize the implant well, sinus augmentations and implant placement can sometimes be performed as a single procedure. If not enough bone is available, the sinus augmentation will have to be performed first, then the graft will have to mature for several months, depending upon the type of graft material used. Once the graft has matured, the implants can be placed.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

Are there different kinds of dental implants?
Stephen D. Moore, DDSStephen D. Moore, DDS
I think the question is regarding the "types" of dental implants that are commonly used.  The answer...
How does my dentist evaluate me for dental implants?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
When considering dental implants, a patient's health is more of a factor than age. Those patients wh...
What's the closest thing to a natural tooth?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
The closest thing to a natural tooth is a natural tooth. So be good to them as everything in dentist...
How are dental implants different than dentures or bridges?
Dental implants are posts that are surgically placed in the upper or lower jaw, where they function ...