How has tooth replacement advanced in recent years?

Peggy Rosen
Dentist

Since the discovering of etching technique: using acid to etch the enamel, the dentist is able to bond the artificial tooth to adjacent teeth in some cases. 

The improvement of the implants technique helps expand the use of implants to be a standalone 1 unit as an anchor for a crown or dentures successfully.

Over the years, dentists have developed more options for replacing missing teeth. One of the oldest approaches is dentures, which are usually removable. They can be held in place with denture cream. Another option is a bridge, sometimes known as a fixed partial denture, in which one or more artificial teeth are attached to adjacent natural teeth. The third approach is an implant, in which an artificial tooth is supported by an anchor screwed into the jawbone. These approaches can be used in various combinations. For example, bridges can be attached to implant anchors.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

Why does tooth replacement therapy cost so much?
Dr. Benjamin S Fiss DDSDr. Benjamin S Fiss DDS
Keep in mind that there are several professionals working to ensure optimum treatment: the implantin...
How do I know if I am a good candidate for dental implants?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Your general dentist, along with an implant specialist, will determine whether you're a good candida...
How soon can I return to work after getting dental implants?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some discomfort following the placement of a dental implant is normal, but most people should be abl...
Are implants better than bridges?
John J. Christensen, DDSJohn J. Christensen, DDS
There's not a simple answer to that question. The answer depends on many factors and each patient pr...