How long does getting subperiosteal dental implants take?

Subperiosteal implants are put into the mouth in two stages. During the first stage, the gums are sometimes opened and an impression is made of the bone, in order to make the metal frame. Some oral surgeons are able to take a CT scan of the lower jaw in order to make the frame, so only one surgical procedure is needed. During the second part, the gums are cut open to insert the frame over the jawbone, and the gums are stitched closed. The crowns or dental bridges are then placed on the metal frame. Often temporary crowns are used, with more permanent ones placed later on.

The time for each visit depends on your dentist and your mouth. Ask your dentist or oral surgeon how long to plan for each stage.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

How do I know if I am a good candidate for dental implants?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you are interested in dental implants, it's a good idea to discuss it carefully with your dentist...
What dental professionals do dental implant procedures?
Nicholas M. Dellorusso, DMDNicholas M. Dellorusso, DMD
Any properly trained dental professional can place and restore a dental implant. Since placing a den...
What is dental peri-implantitis?
Dr. Anthony SclarDr. Anthony Sclar
Like progressive “periodontitis” (gum disease), Peri-implantitis leads to progressive loss of the b...
Are implants better than bridges?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
In some cases, an implant may be a better option than a permanent bridge (a series of joined crowns)...