How do I care for my root form dental implant?

Robert Merin
Periodontics

Once your implant has a crown, you should brush and floss your implant like the rest of your teeth.  Root form implants are true body replacements that function like your natural teeth.

To care for your root form dental implant properly, follow all of your dentist's instructions. He or she will probably advise you not to attempt cleaning the area near the implant at first. You will also probably need to take antibiotics to prevent infection. When your dentist gives you the okay, you can treat your root form dental implants just as you would your natural teeth. That means brushing several times a day and flossing at least once daily. Your dentist may have other special care instructions for your root form dental implants. For instance, he or she may recommend that you increase the frequency of office visits for routine cleanings.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

What are the benefits of dental implants?
Vahid H. Bashi, DDSVahid H. Bashi, DDS
There are many benefits for placing dental implants in the mouth. If a tooth has been lost due to di...
What are the disadvantages of dental implants?
Dental implants have several disadvantages compared to other methods of replacing lost teeth. Th...
How does my dentist evaluate me for dental implants?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
When considering dental implants, a patient's health is more of a factor than age. Those patients wh...
What happens if I develop an infection after dental implants?
Jonathan H. Ross, DDSJonathan H. Ross, DDS
You must consider the time the infection developed after placement of the implant fixture. Here are ...