How should I take care of my dental implant?

Dental implants are posts that are surgically placed in the upper or lower jaw, where they function as a sturdy anchor for replacement teeth. It's a good idea to discuss implant treatment carefully with your dental team. Regular dental visits are key to the long-term success of your implant. Some patients need professional cleanings two to four times per year. Your dentist will set up a program to ensure the health of your implant and your natural teeth.

Your dentist will also suggest a home-care routine to suit your needs. It will include brushing twice a day and flossing once a day. You may also be advised to use a special toothbrush or a mouth rinse to help prevent cavities and gum disease. Look for products that display the American Dental Association's (ADA) Seal of Acceptance. The Seal tells you that the product meets the ADA's standards for safety and effectiveness.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
The best way to care for your dental implant is to have regular professional care and good daily home care. Professional care includes regular cleanings and exams with your dental hygienist and dentist. On the home care side, both manual and power toothbrushes are safe to use on your implant. Another safe and effective tool is a water flosser. It has been shown to be highly effective for reducing bleeding and gingivitis around implants.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is always important, but if you have a dental implant, you should look at it as an investment. Dental implants can be expensive, and in order to make sure they work correctly, you have to keep your mouth healthy. If the teeth or gums around a dental implant are damaged, your implant could be in trouble as well. It is also extremely important to practice good oral hygiene during the process of osseointegration, during which your implant is fusing with your jawbone. You can lower your risk of complications by brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and flossing once a day as well. You should also make regular appointments to see your dentist. If you notice any discomfort near your implant be sure to contact your dentist right away.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

How does my dentist evaluate me for dental implants?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
When considering dental implants, a patient's health is more of a factor than age. Those patients wh...
What could prevent me from getting a dental implant?
If you are interested in dental implants, it's a good idea to discuss it carefully with your dentist...
Can dental implants cause pain?
Some discomfort following the placement of a dental implant is normal. The area may be tender or sor...
Who is a candidate for a dental implant?
Dental implants are posts that are surgically placed in the upper or lower jaw, where they funct...