How many dental implants can be placed in my mouth?

Randall D. Stastny, DMD
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

The short answer is 32, one for every tooth that you had. The long answer is that you probably do not need that many implants. Every patient is different and each situation needs to be customized to each patients specific needs.

Peggy Rosen
Dentist

The implant exam and consultation with an x-ray will help determine your potential for implants and the amount of implants required. The x-ray will show how much bone is present in the locations where you will need implants placed.

In general, a dental implant can replace any extracted tooth in your mouth as long as the surgical area meets all requirements for the implant.  Bone thickness and healthy gums are major factors for site selection.
How many dental implants a patient receives depends on his or her own particular needs. Many patients choose implants to replace a single tooth, several teeth or to support a full set of dentures. If you are interested in dental implants, it's a good idea to discuss it carefully with your dentist first. Implants are one of the biggest advances in dentistry in the past 40 years and are a popular and effective way to replace missing teeth.
The number of dental implants will depend on your exact needs, but it is possible to replace every lost tooth with an implant. Many people have chosen to have a mouth full of dental implants instead of having to wear dentures so they do not have to worry about the negative things that come with dentures. Such things might include bone loss, problems speaking or eating, dry mouth and related fungal infections (thrush), and the worry their face may look different.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

What types of dental implants are available?
Dr. Anthony SclarDr. Anthony Sclar
Although many types of dental implants have been used to replace missing teeth including blade, subp...
Are there different kinds of dental implants?
Stephen D. Moore, DDSStephen D. Moore, DDS
I think the question is regarding the "types" of dental implants that are commonly used.  The answer...
What's the closest thing to a natural tooth?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
The closest thing to a natural tooth is a natural tooth. So be good to them as everything in dentist...
What is involved in getting a dental implant?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
When getting a dental implant, the dentist will use local anesthesia to numb the surgical area. In m...