How are dental implants different than dentures or bridges?

Dental implants are posts that are surgically placed in the upper or lower jaw, where they function as a sturdy anchor for replacement teeth. Because they fuse with the jawbone, they offer firm support to man-made teeth such as dentures or bridges. This secure fit makes man-made teeth feel more natural than typical bridges or dentures.

Dental bridges literally bridge the gap where one or more teeth may have been. The restoration can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain or a combination of these materials and is bonded onto surrounding teeth for support. Bridges can be removable, which you can take out and clean, or fixed, a type of bridge that can only be removed by a dentist. Depending on which type of bridge your dentist recommends, its success depends on its foundation. So it's very important to keep your remaining teeth healthy and strong.

Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth or to secure dentures in place. So they are not the final stage of an appliance rather they are the beginning stage of restoring form and function to the mouth. You should look to see how implants work to begin with and then it will be more clear for you how they differ from dentures and bridges.

Dental implants are quite different from dentures or bridges. A dental implant is a permanent replacement for a missing tooth. It's placed in your jawbone by a dental surgeon and usually works just as well as a natural tooth. Dentures and some kinds of bridges rest on the gum line and are removable, while fixed bridges usually need to be anchored to nearby teeth. Dental implants can also be used to anchor fixed bridges when several teeth in a row are missing.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

Should I delay tooth implants if I have problems controlling blood sugar?
Stephen D. Moore, DDSStephen D. Moore, DDS
If you have problems controlling blood sugar levels, then consult your physician immediately. Often ...
Can dental implants cause pain?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some discomfort following the placement of a dental implant is normal. The area may be tender or sor...
Do I have to use two doctors for dental implants?
Tina L. Herington, DMDTina L. Herington, DMD
No, you do not have to use two doctors. Many general dentists place implants and also do the restora...
Are implants better than bridges?
John J. Christensen, DDSJohn J. Christensen, DDS
There's not a simple answer to that question. The answer depends on many factors and each patient pr...