What are the benefits of getting a composite resin dental filling?

Composite resin dental fillings have many benefits. They can be used in either the front teeth or the back teeth, and can be made to match the color in your other teeth. If your cavity is in a tooth that shows when you smile or talk, your dentist might consider using a composite filling because of its appearance. A composite filling is a tooth-colored product made from a mixture of acrylic resin and powdered particles that are like glass. It has been demonstrated to be a strong material with good durability, and can usually be placed during one visit. The dentist does not need to remove much of the healthy tooth to put in a composite resin dental filling, and it does not often need repair.

Continue Learning about Dental Fillings

Should I get my fillings checked regularly?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
All teeth (with or without fillings) should be checked regularly. Fillings can get cavities aroun...
What are the advantages of composite tooth fillings?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
The advantages include appearance and conservation of tooth structure, along with the bonding proces...
What are the disadvantages of amalgam tooth fillings?
Mark A. Burhenne, DDSMark A. Burhenne, DDS
Silver amalgam fillings contain a neurotoxin -- mercury. About half of the dentists in the US use a ...
What is the environmental impact of amalgam tooth fillings?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
In 1991, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed that mercury contained in dental amalgam is t...