How is a dental inlay or onlay fitted?

During the first visit, the dentist prepares the tooth by removing the old filling or decay. The tooth is then shaped for the restoration. Next, the dentist makes an impression of the tooth, the opposing teeth and the bite. The dentist then makes a model. From that model, the inlay or onlay is made in a dental lab. A temporary filling protects the tooth until the next visit, when it is removed.

During the second visit, the permanent inlay or onlay is checked for fit before the dentist cements it to the tooth. The dentist then adjusts the inlay or onlay for comfort and gives it a final polish.

Continue Learning about Dental Fillings

When should I consider having my amalgam fillings removed?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
People with the following conditions may want to speak to their dentist about having their amalgam f...
Why does a dentist have to drill a tooth cavity?
Jennifer G. Robb, DMDJennifer G. Robb, DMD
To fix a cavity, the decay must be removed from the tooth. The traditional procedure involves using ...
How many dentists use fillings containing mercury?
Since the Civil War, mercury-containing fillings (often called “silver” or “amalgam”) continue to be...
Why are dental check-ups important if I have fillings?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Regular dental examinations are important because problems with existing fillings generally can ...