Who is at risk for a cracked tooth?

You are at higher risk for a cracked tooth if you have a habit of chewing on hard objects or food, such as ice or hard candy. Any time you repeatedly put extreme pressure on your teeth, you increase the risk for a cracked tooth. Sometimes you can put this extra pressure on your teeth if you grind or clench them. You may not even realize you are clenching your teeth when you sleep or concentrate. Other events that can increase your risk for a cracked tooth are more out of your control. You may have been in an accident or taken a fall or blow to your mouth. If your bite doesn't align correctly, this can also increase your risk of a crack.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Dental Emergencies
Whether your idea of vacation fun is sun and sandcastles, city slicking or sleeping under the stars, dental emergencies can happen anywhere. Here’s ho...
Is losing a filling or crown a dental emergency?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
I usually let the patient tell me ;) If they are in pain or they are self-conscious about it then...
Why is tooth abscess a dental emergency?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
An abscessed tooth is an infected tooth. The main symptoms are pain and swelling, which depending on...
Why is a tooth avulsion a dental emergency?
Stanislav MolineStanislav Moline
Tooth avulsion is an emergency, because if the tooth is not re-implanted within 60 minutes, there is...