What is tooth luxation?

A tooth luxation is when a tooth has been pushed out of place. This is the result of trauma from a fall or blow to the mouth. If the tooth is not broken, the tooth is repositioned back into space. The tooth may be bonded to the adjacent teeth as it is healing. The tooth may require a root canal depending on the severity of the displacement. To help prevent luxations, athletes should wear a protective mouthguard.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Dental Emergencies
Whether your idea of vacation fun is sun and sandcastles, city slicking or sleeping under the stars, dental emergencies can happen anywhere. Here’s ho...
How can orthodontics become a dental emergency?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
An orthodontic emergency usually involves orthodontic appliances that have been damaged or altered f...
What constitutes a dental emergency?
Dental emergencies vary, but they usually involve a broken tooth or some type of severe pain in your...
How can I prevent my young hockey player from dental trauma?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
With any sport, particularly a physical sport, there is the possibility of contact with your teeth o...