What type of anesthesia will I need for treating a cracked tooth?

In most cases, you will not need anesthesia to treat a cracked tooth. Depending on the damage to the tooth and your individual treatment plan, your dentist will be able to tell you what medications or anesthesia will be needed.

For simple repairs such as smoothing, bonding, or a crown to cover and protect the tooth, you should not need any anesthesia. If you have more serious damage and need to have the tooth pulled, your dentist or oral surgeon may use a general anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Dental Emergencies
Whether your idea of vacation fun is sun and sandcastles, city slicking or sleeping under the stars, dental emergencies can happen anywhere. Here’s ho...
How can I avoid dental emergencies?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
It depends on the type of emergency you would like to prevent. To avoid dental infections related...
What should I do if I crack my tooth?
If you crack your tooth, here are some important steps for emergency management: Rinse your mout...
Why is pulpitis a dental emergency?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
Irreversible pulpitis is a severe inflammation of the dental pulp. Irreversible pulpitis is often oc...