Why is a tooth avulsion a dental emergency?

Stanislav Moline
Endodontics
Tooth avulsion is an emergency, because if the tooth is not re-implanted within 60 minutes, there is a very high chance of losing the tooth. Remember: Rinse, but do NOT scratch the root of the tooth before re-placing it back (if the tooth is less than 60 minutes out of the mouth). 

If the tooth is out, place it in 2% cold milk (NOT water), then go to an endodontist or an oral surgeon (not ER if possible), who are usually well-trained to deal with the avulsion. Remember, if you cannot get to an endodontist or an oral surgeon to re-place the tooth in under 60 minutes, rinse it (no scratching), then place it back yourself, then go and find an endodontist or an oral surgeon.
A tooth avulsion is the total displacement of a tooth from its socket and is usually caused by a blow. If the tooth comes out of its socket try, if possible ,to put it back and see a dentist immediately. The dentist will splint the tooth and provide antibiotics to prevent infection.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

Should I call the dentist for a broken tooth?
If you break a tooth, call your dentist immediately. This is particularly important if a signifi...
How are dental emergencies prevented?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
It depends on the type of emergency you would like to prevent. To avoid dental infections related...
What should I do in the event of a dental emergency?
Kevan T. Cahow, DDSKevan T. Cahow, DDS
Fortunately, most dental emergencies are usually minor in nature. For example, a lost filling, a chi...
Is losing a filling or crown a dental emergency?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
I usually let the patient tell me ;) If they are in pain or they are self-conscious about it then...