What are the symptoms of toothache?

Symptoms of a toothache include:

• an aching mouth or jaw
  • swelling
  • redness in the gums
  • bad taste in the mouth
  • fever

A toothache should be evaluated by a dentist right away to determine the cause of the problem and prevent the tooth from dying.

The symptoms of a toothache are most often pain (either mild or severe) at a specific tooth or around a tooth. However, you may have other symptoms that come with the toothache. These symptoms are helpful to be aware of, because they can help your doctor or dentist find the cause of your toothache. Symptoms that you may have along with your tooth pain include:
  • pain at the jaw joint (a problem with your jaw joint could be the reason for your toothache)
  • fever, which can be a clue that your toothache may be caused by an infection
  • headache (teeth grinding or a sinus infection could lead to headaches and tooth pain)
  • earache, which suggests that an ear infection is the cause of your tooth pain
  • nausea, pain in your arm or shoulder, and chest pressure could be symptoms of a heart attack
If you notice a toothache and any other symptoms that don't seem to have a good explanation, call your doctor or your dentist.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

What should I do if I crack my tooth?
If you crack your tooth, here are some important steps for emergency management: Rinse your mout...
Can emergency rooms give dental care?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Hospital emergency rooms do not provide routine dental care, and they are usually not set up to care...
What sports can cause dental emergencies?
Without researching everything that is considered a sport, I would venture to say that dental injuri...
Why is tooth luxation a dental emergency?
Tooth luxation means a loose tooth. If any  teeth become loose and, especially if they are painful, ...