Why is pulpitis a dental emergency?

Pulpitis is inflammation or infection of the pulp (nerve), which is the center of the tooth. This is different from an abscess. You may experience pain  eating hot, cold, or sweet foods. Many toothaches like this can be fixed with a filling. However, some are irreversible and require root canal treatment, which involves the cleaning out of the pulp contents (blood vessels and nerves), or extraction of the tooth.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How can I tell if teeth are cracked?
It is difficult to detect cracks in your teeth. Many people have cracked teeth and do not know i...
What if I have a dental emergency but no dental insurance?
If you don’t have dental insurance, you should still contact your dentist in the event of a dental e...
Can emergency rooms give dental care?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Emergency departments are set up to treat dental emergencies. They are not set up to provide routine...
How can I prevent dental emergencies?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A simple way to reduce the chances of damage to your teeth, lips, cheek and tongue is to wear a mout...