How can I prevent my young hockey player from dental trauma?

With any sport, particularly a physical sport, there is the possibility of contact with your teeth or mouth. Wearing a mouth guard helps protect the teeth from trauma. Mouth guards are removable and can be inserted when beginning play. Wearing a helmet with a face mask or face guard can also help to protect the face, mouth and sometimes jaw.

Hockey has long been known to be associated with dental emergencies and lost teeth. Wearing a mouth guard is a simple, inexpensive way to prevent injuries. Mouth guards may be ready-made types, the mouth-formed "boil-and-bite" mouth protector, or custom-made models by a dentist.

Wearing an ice hockey helmet approved by USA Hockey is also important. These helmets may come with face cages or clear cages that extend beneath the jaw and support the chin. There are also jaw-only guards. Remember that even these precautions might not protect the teeth.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Dental Emergencies
Whether your idea of vacation fun is sun and sandcastles, city slicking or sleeping under the stars, dental emergencies can happen anywhere. Here’s ho...
Can I prevent my child swimmer from having a dental emergency?
Teach your children to follow the rules of the pool: No running near the swimming pool No divi...
Why is cellulitis a dental emergency?
Cellulitis is inflammation that has spread to the surrounding  soft tissues of the mouth. It is a ...
What dental emergencies can happen in the workplace?
If you have are a professional boxer or hockey player, you might have an increased risk for dent...