Question

Dental Emergency

Is losing a filling or crown a dental emergency?

• A Philip Uffer, DDS, Dentist, answered
    I usually let the patient tell me ;)

If they are in pain or they are self-conscious about it then it is an emergency.

It is best to try and get in as soon as you are able to have the problem evaluated/corrected.
  • ARealAge answered
    You should not wait too long to see a dentist if you lose a filling. Although it is not technically a dental emergency, it could become one because the crown without a filling is weakened, and the dentin of the tooth is exposed to the air and bacteria of the mouth. Here are some things to do if you lose a filling:
    • Clove oil applied to the location of the lost filling may provide some pain relief
    • Clean the crown and see if it will fit back onto your tooth
    • If you have lost the crown, temporary dental cement can help protect the tooth until you can see a dentist
    Your dentist will  remove any additional decay and put in a new filling.
How can orthodontics become a dental emergency?