Is losing a filling or crown a dental emergency?

You should not wait too long to see a dentist if you lose a filling. Although it is not technically a dental emergency, it could become one because the crown without a filling is weakened, and the dentin of the tooth is exposed to the air and bacteria of the mouth. Here are some things to do if you lose a filling:
  • Clove oil applied to the location of the lost filling may provide some pain relief
  • Clean the crown and see if it will fit back onto your tooth
  • If you have lost the crown, temporary dental cement can help protect the tooth until you can see a dentist
Your dentist will  remove any additional decay and put in a new filling.
I usually let the patient tell me ;)

If they are in pain or they are self-conscious about it then it is an emergency.

It is best to try and get in as soon as you are able to have the problem evaluated/corrected.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Types of Dental Emergencies
Dental emergencies can happen anytime and anywhere. Here’s how to handle four of the most common mishaps you may confront.  Emergency: Chipped or cra...
Should I call the dentist for a broken tooth?
If you break a tooth, call your dentist immediately. This is particularly important if a signifi...
How can I tell if teeth are cracked?
It is difficult to detect cracks in your teeth. Many people have cracked teeth and do not know i...
Can eating certain foods cause dental emergencies?
Everyone has experienced pieces of food becoming temporarily stuck between teeth. It might have been...