What should I do if my gums, cheek, or tongue are injured?

Gums, cheeks, or the tongue may be injured in a number of ways, including cuts, punctures, and other trauma. If these occur, clean the wound with warm water. If possible, put pressure on the wound using a bandage or gauze to help stop the bleeding. If your tongue is injured, it may be difficult to stop the bleeding. It is still possible to manage the bleeding by pulling the tongue forward and putting pressure on it. Have someone call 911 or take you directly to an emergency room for help.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Dental Emergencies
Whether your idea of vacation fun is sun and sandcastles, city slicking or sleeping under the stars, dental emergencies can happen anywhere. Here’s ho...
How can I tell if teeth are cracked?
It is difficult to detect cracks in your teeth. Many people have cracked teeth and do not know i...
Are tiny cracks in my teeth a dental emergency?
Hairline cracks in the teeth can indicate tooth grinding, the sleep disorder bruxism, or mental stre...
What dental emergencies can happen at home?
Accidents can happen anywhere, even at home. Because children tend to be accident prone, they sh...