How do I reduce complications after having a cracked tooth treated?

Complications after the repair of a cracked tooth will depend on how much damage you have to your cracked tooth and what treatment your dentist recommends. Normally, treatment to repair a cracked tooth includes basic smoothing or bonding, or more extensive but still basic fillings or crowns. You may experience a little pain as a complication after any of these treatments simply from keeping your jaw open or having the actual work done.

Sometimes a crack in the root of the tooth is hard to diagnose. The cracked tooth on the surface may be treated, but the crack in the root was unnoticed. A more serious complication after treatment of a cracked tooth may occur if this deeper crack develops into an infection that can affect the surrounding bone and gum.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Dental Emergencies
Dental emergencies can happen anytime and anywhere. Here’s how to handle four of the most common mishaps you may confront. Emergency: Chipped or crac...
Is losing a filling or crown a dental emergency?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
I usually let the patient tell me ;) If they are in pain or they are self-conscious about it then...
What are some causes of dental emergencies?
Dental emergencies are often caused by accidents and injuries. Some sports create risk of jaw or...
Why is pericoronitis a dental emergency?
Pericoronitis involves inflammation and swelling of tissue around erupting wisdom teeth. Plaque and ...