What can cause a toothache?

You can develop a toothache for many reasons, but the most common cause is tooth decay. When a tooth's structure breaks down, nerves may become exposed. If the nerves are irritated, your tooth will throb. Other causes of toothaches include:
  • infections
  • gum disease
  • trauma, such as a blow to the mouth
  • teeth grinding
Make an appointment to see your dentist right away if you develop a persistent toothache.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

What dental emergencies can happen while driving?
Car crashes are a common cause of tooth fractures and tooth loss. Not wearing your seatbelt can ...
How can I tell if teeth are cracked?
It is difficult to detect cracks in your teeth. Many people have cracked teeth and do not know i...
How common is dental trauma?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Dental trauma is extremely common. It can result from and/or includes getting hit in the mouth, auto...
How can I prevent dental emergencies?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A simple way to reduce the chances of damage to your teeth, lips, cheek and tongue is to wear a mout...