What constitutes a dental emergency?

Dental emergencies vary, but they usually involve a broken tooth or some type of severe pain in your mouth. If you think you have a dental emergency, you should contact your dentist immediately. The sooner you take action, the more likely you are to keep the teeth involved. Specific examples of dental emergencies are broken teeth, teeth that have been knocked out, a broken jaw, and any type of severe pain affecting your teeth or gums. When you call your dentist to make an appointment, do your best to accurately describe your emergency. This will help them prepare for your arrival. If a filling or a crown falls out, this may constitute a dental emergency as well. Don’t hesitate to contact your dentist.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

What are dental danger signs?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Danger signs of oral and dental problems include but are certainly not limited to the following:bad ...
What if I have a heart attack during a dental procedure?
If you experience chest pain during your dental procedure, the dentist should stop the procedure, ca...
How can I prevent dental emergencies?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A simple way to reduce the chances of damage to your teeth, lips, cheek and tongue is to wear a mout...
Who is most at-risk for dental trauma?
Children are the most at-risk population for dental emergencies. Up to 25% of 12-year-olds have inju...