Can eating certain foods cause dental emergencies?

Certain foods can cause dental problems. Foods that are extremely hard and sticky could stick to the teeth and pull out a crown, bridge or filling. Other foods can get stuck between the teeth and cause pain. It is important to practice good oral hygiene, such as brushing twice a day for two minutes and flossing, to limit the impact of these foods. Floss will clear the particles from between the teeth and brushing removes the sugar and other acids that may stick to the teeth and other dental work.

Everyone has experienced pieces of food becoming temporarily stuck between teeth. It might have been a popcorn kernel or hull, a piece of chicken, crushed red pepper, or even a splinter from a toothpick. If foreign objects, including food, become stuck between teeth or teeth and gums, they can  irritate surrounding tissue and lead to infection. Most food or other objects can be removed by flossing and brushing with a fluoride toothpaste. Sometimes, a toothpick can help remove hard-to-remove objects; be careful not to probe gums too deeply. A little bleeding is normal, but if you bleed too much or if it is too painful, have the dentist remove the object.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

Is losing a filling or crown a dental emergency?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
I usually let the patient tell me ;) If they are in pain or they are self-conscious about it then...
Is a dentist able to save my tooth if it falls out?
David J. Martin, DDSDavid J. Martin, DDS
Here is a guideline on how to treat a totally knocked out tooth. Entire Tooth Knocked Out Avoi...
Are root canals a dental emergency?
Romesh NalliahRomesh Nalliah
Root canal infections may or may not be painful. If painful you would consider this an emergency! Ro...
What are some causes of dental emergencies?
Dental emergencies are often caused by accidents and injuries. Some sports create risk of jaw or...