What could happen if I choose not to have a metal dental crown?

If a full cast metal crown has been suggested for the second molar region or molar region with limited tooth height for crown preparation, and you decide to have combination porcelain to metal crown fabricated instead, then the potential for porcelain fracture should be considered probable.

If you have been advised to have a crown, metal or combination and you opt for a filling, then you should understand that the filling may not last and the tooth may fracture, possibly resulting in a non-restorable situation.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

What type of anesthesia will I need for a dental crown?
Your dentist may use local anesthesia, conscious sedation, or general anesthesia to place your d...
Does insurance cover a dental crown?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Yes, no and maybe. Some insurance plans cover crowns at the benefit level they allow for major se...
Does crown lengthening require surgery?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Crown lengthening is a type of dental surgery. It is indicated when there is not enough tooth expose...
Are dental crowns strong enough to chew food?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental crowns actually are often used to strengthen teeth and are strong enough to chew food. A crow...