What could happen if I choose not to have a metal dental crown?

If a full cast metal crown has been suggested for the second molar region or molar region with limited tooth height for crown preparation, and you decide to have combination porcelain to metal crown fabricated instead, then the potential for porcelain fracture should be considered probable.

If you have been advised to have a crown, metal or combination and you opt for a filling, then you should understand that the filling may not last and the tooth may fracture, possibly resulting in a non-restorable situation.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

What costs more, veneers or crowns?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most dentists charge a little more for porcelain veneers than crowns. The reason is that veneers ar...
Why do I need a dental crown?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental crowns are dental restorations that cap a tooth to help restore it to its normal shape. L...
What are dental crowns made of?
Dr. Benjamin S Fiss DDSDr. Benjamin S Fiss DDS
Years ago, crowns were only made of gold, providing strength but very poor cosmetics. Today, there i...
What is the difference between a crown and a cap?
Tina L. Herington, DMDTina L. Herington, DMD
There is no difference, they are the same. Cap is an older term and is still commonly used to refer ...