How long is the recovery after getting a dental crown?

After getting a dental crown placed, you can expect that you will go home shortly afterwards and then feel some soreness around your mouth or jaw. This soreness should go away fairly quickly and should not be too severe. If you feel that your pain is either not going away or is getting worse, call your dentist. Since the dental crown placement procedure often requires several steps and at least a couple visits to your dentist, you may not feel fully “recovered” until all the steps are complete. This usually happens within several months. So, you may feel sore for a little while and may have a few months until you are finally done. But when all the steps and recovery are complete, you will have a crown that can last you for many years to come.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

What is the difference between a crown and a cap?
Tina L. Herington, DMDTina L. Herington, DMD
There is no difference, they are the same. Cap is an older term and is still commonly used to refer ...
What does the crown lengthening procedure consist of?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Crown lengthening is a procedure used to help a crown (also cap) fit better. If a tooth is tooth sh...
How long is a dental crown effective?
A crown should last at least 5 years. Most crowns will last 10 years or longer if the person practic...
How can I control my pain after getting a dental crown?
After getting your dental crown, you shouldn't feel much pain or discomfort. But if you are worr...