What follow-up is required for crown lengthening?

Crown lengthening usually requires more than one visit, so following up with your periodontist is important. After surgery, you may experience swelling not only in your gums, but in your mouth and face, too. This swelling can usually be managed with ice and anti-inflammatory medication. You should not apply ice for longer than 20 minutes at a time, with rest periods in between to prevent cell damage. You will need to return to your dentist to have stitches removed and to get a permanent crown if you received a temporary one first.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

What costs more, veneers or crowns?
Thomas Connelly, Online InfluencerThomas Connelly, Online Influencer
They are actually fairly similar in time spent, so the price is going to be pretty close. I will say...
What could happen if I choose not to have a dental crown?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If your dentist recommends a dental crown, it is either to strengthen your teeth or enhance their ap...
How are dental crowns made?
Dental crowns are usually made by a laboratory after an impression of the teeth is taken. Dental lab...
Why is silver a good option for crowns on primary molars?
Crowns that appear to be made of silver are probably made of a material called amalgam. Amalgam ...